Sponsor a Child Today!

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Treston's story in a nutshell

I wrote this last December, marking the one year anniversary of Treston's placement in our home. In November of 2006, our adoption agency, New Life, unexpectedly called us asking us to pray about taking a baby who needed a home. It would be a "foster-to-adopt" situation, meaning we should be willing to make it forever, but we could have to relinquish him at any time. Wow. We weren't expecting another baby, although I think I'm ready for another at any time...my husband, not-so-much. And I certainly didn't like the idea of taking him in and letting him go. But my Godly husband prayed and searched the scripture and was drawn to James 1:27. "Pure and lasting religion in the sight of God our father means that we care for orphans and widows in their trouble, and refuse to let the world corrupt us." God had made plans for our family that we were unaware of, and as always, His plans rock. So we got on a scary faith ride that took many twists and turns, but in the end, we knew our Father better, and God filled a hole in our family we hadn't even been aware of before. I'll let you read this post now...if any of you have questions about adoption, contact us! We love to share with people about adoption, and especially trans-racial adoption! Comment below if you need our e-mail address. So thanks for reading. We are thrilled to share the news of Treston's adoption with you...more than you can know! God bless!
Treston came to the Bacak house.
One year ago today, we drove all dressed-up with an empty strapped in baby seat, and a reconfigured seating arrangement in the Bacak mini-van.
We stood in the New Life building...a building I have know more than half of my life, and is probably the place my children think all people get babies from.
We stood and waited. Nervous.
We signed paperwork.
We talked about that this could be for forever, and it could be for two weeks. No one knew.
Foster-to-adopt? What did that mean?
It meant uncertainty, and faith, and risk. A great big risk.
I couldn't make any promises to my kids. We didn't know.
RISKY BUSINESS.
And in came the baby who was well worth the risk.
God went to great lengths to place him in our arms.
His loving foster Mom placed him in my arms, with tears in her eyes.
Rusty and I looked at him. (Actual picture above.)
We had a baby.
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL BABY!!!
We hadn't been in the process of waiting, and praying, and preparing...this was all so different...unexpected...scary...WONDERFUL.
I was head over heels in love with this little guy already.
You know, just like many of you Moms felt when you laid eyes on the baby that you birthed? Same feeling. Minus blinding, life-threatening pain.
We circled up with granparents and Sara and prayed for Treston.
Then we drove home.
New beautiful brown baby in the formerly empty seat.
A baby bag stuffed with his few belongings in tow, as well as his favorite swing.
We came home, and Melodi Henry and Kaycee brought us tortilla soup.
We ate it, and watched him in the swing.
We had a baby.
We didn't know how long he would stay, but it sure felt like he was mine.
That's because he was.
He was ours before we brought him home.
He was ours before THE phone call and we knew he existed.
He was ours before he was even born.
He was ours because God planned it before time began.
We didn't get to send out a birth announcement.
We didn't have "It's a Boy" balloons.
There was no celebrating, but we had a baby.
(That's why when the celebrating day came, we've been serious about it!)
We went to church and showed up with a baby, and confused people.
We saw the brilliant Christmas play at church, and I cried a lot, mainly cause we had a baby.
And then they announced baby dedication, and I ached to get up at church and hold him proudly and dedicate him as his parents, but we couldn't.
I love baby dedications!
The last one we had at church on Mother's Day was very difficult for me. We still didn't know how this story would end up. I wanted to be up there so bad!!! I bawled, like embarrassing cry, right there in my seat. Rusty had to go chase down some tissue. I was a mess.
But our dedication day is coming. He is ours!!!!
December 15th we get to stand before the church and make a commitment as his parents to raise him to know and love the Lord.
God has big plans for Treston. He didn't do this for nothing.
We praise God for this day a year ago, Demeber 6th, 2006.

10 comments:

Laurie said...

A beautiful story about a beautiful baby! Blessing to all of you.

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

What an honor it will be to sit in the congregation and promise to help guide and train this precious boy who is such a gift from God and hand placed in his family's life!!!
Love you and praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Treston!

The Vann's said...

Man i am so sad that we are not going to be able to be at the dedication. Hopefully i can talk matt into videoing it and you can post it on your blog!?!?! Hope Ya'll are doing well, we miss the Bacak Nation!!

Lisa Smith said...

Bringing tears to my eyes. Beautiful. Yaay for happy endings or happy beginnings...either way, yaaay.

Amanda said...

Yay!!

The Mosiers said...

How thankful we are for that beautiful brown little boy!

Hendrick Family said...

I love that picture...and I love the work God has done in our midst through Treston's life.

Heather

Anonymous said...

Sara at New Life suggested that I check out your blog, I'm so glad she did - what a sweet story...
We'd love to e-mail and ask you guys some questions sometime though i'm reluctant to leave my e-mail here.

Lori said...

Hi Jenn. My name is Lori Sorrel. My sister is Rachel Hood and she and Jarrod forwarded me your blog. We are just starting the adoption process from Ethiopia. My husband Nathan and I would love to talk/email y'all and learn from y'all, who are much further into this journey. Thanks for sharing your life on here!
Lori