Sponsor a Child Today!

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

31 Days of Praise


I have this little book by Ruth Myers called "31 Days of Praise." It's a daily guide of prayer and thanksgiving, drawn straight from scripture. I am touched by the author's invitation to sincere and intimate praise and thanksgiving, especially knowing she wrote this book in the aftermath of some of losing her husband. She was a young widow and mother. Yet she filled these pages from the overflow of a thankful heart. Some of the prayers written in the back of the book have been meaningful to me as well. Here's the beginning of my favorite one:

"Lord, I'm Yours. Whatever the cost may be, may Your will be done in my life. I realize I'm not here on earth to do my own thing, or to seek my own fulfillment or my own glory. I'm not here to indulge my desires, to increase my possessions, to impress people, to be popular, to prove I'm somebody important, or to promote myself. I'm not here even to be relevant or successful by human standards. I'm here to please you."

The rest of the prayer is wonderful as well. I think I need to read this daily. How easily I can get side-tracked and forget our purpose in life!
Have a great day today, and live it to please the Lord alone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome. A great reminder! It's also neat to read her words because they are so genuine and that's how I like to talk to God :)