Sponsor a Child Today!

Thursday, October 02, 2008

A word from Emma about TV...

I found this written on a piece of paper on my desk. I never know why or how these things get started. Emma is always in the middle of writing the great American fiction novel, or some enormous project. So I couldn't say what prompted this one, but I love it. (It would be way better if you could see her writing.)

"Parents: do you want your child to stop watching tv? Tell your child to use there amagenation. imagination. its cool. Get on the couch and turn it on. its tv in your mind."

Just a public service announcement about children and TV from Emma Bacak.

My contribution is more of a confession. I did something so indulgent last week. I turned on the TV during nap time. I never do that. Day time TV is just a distant memory from my past. General Hospital between classes in college, talk shows, Dr. Phil, all apart of another time, another life. TV no longer exists during the day in our home. If a major national tragedy strikes, please call me. I don't know about it. When the economy crashes, my husband has to tell me. I know nothing until I get to the gym and see it flash on seven screens. Talk about overload. But I watched this last week...

The Bonnie Hunt Show. I just like her. She is so witty! I've liked her for years, and when I saw she had her own show, I had to support. Even for one day during nap time, when my kids came in and said "What are you doing?" stunned, I said, watching Bonnie Hunt. And her show was so clean, there was absolutely no issue with having the kids in the room.
Don't worry, this won't become a habit. But if you are watching something between classes in college, or you DVR things during the day, I thought I'd throw it out there. It's a throwback to the Rosie O'Donnell show, which brings back vivid memories of me on bedrest with Jax, with monitors hooked up to my belly. Jax might actually recognize Rosie's voice. I liked her too, but I'm afraid I could be publicly flogged for that. I'll stop now.

1 comment:

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

Jenn, we will be in BCS next week for a recruiting trip with Sam's work. I would love to get together and see you all. I also need recommendations on what to do in town with kids. Can you email me at pipandsqueak@gmail.com? Tell Rusy Hey!