Sponsor a Child Today!

Monday, September 22, 2008

Birthday Cake Cones & Chocolate Pound Cake



We've just completed a summer full of birthdays. Every member of our family has a summer birthday. That's 6 birthdays in four months!
When I get caught up on all of the slideshows I need to make (Canada coming next, I promise!) I will post Emma's horseback riding party pics.
But for now, I will just share the recipes I used for her cakes.
Treston, above, is happily demonstrating the cupcake cone.
These are SO easy to make and then hand out at a kids' birthday party.
No cutting the cake, serving the cake, plates or forks needed. (Napkins, always needed.)
A few of the Moms asked me for the recipe at the party, so here it is. So easy!
This is from "The Cake Doctor" cookbook, which uses cake mixes to make cakes with a homemade flair.

You need:
28 flat bottomed ice cream cones
1 package Chocolate Cake mix
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1/2 t cinnamon
Chocolate Frosting (make your own, or go with store-bought)
colored sprinkles
foil

You need to wrap some foil around the bottom of each cone. Try to keep it flat on the bottom so it can stand up, but this keeps the bottom part of the cones from burning.
Set your cones in a muffin pan. I used large and mini-muffin pans.
Mix up your cake batter. Pour it into the cones, filling them about halfway. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. When they spring back, take them out and let them cool. Then frost them and sprinkle them.


This Chocolate pound cake is my favorite cake! It has pudding in it! It's incredibly moist, and doesn't need frosting of any kind. I have drizzled it with chocolate syrup before and decorated with M&M's.

Mix together:
1 yellow cake mix
1 large box of instant chocolate pudding
3/4 c oil
3/4 c water

Then add:
4 eggs, one at a time
fold in 8 oz. of sour cream (I was out this time and used vanilla yogurt, and it was great too!)
8 oz. chocolate chips (I leave them out sometimes because I don't like chocolate overkill, but I know that's blasphemy to some of you.)

Pour all of that into a greased bundt pan and cook for 50-60 minutes at 350.

No comments: