Sponsor a Child Today!

Monday, September 22, 2008

I made bread in the crockpot!


Yep. Bread. In the crockpot. How crazy is that?
Kyle Super McVay sent me to a blog that had good crockpot recipes, and there it was. Bread. So Emma and I put on our aprons, and it was actually a school project. (It served two purposes.) We were studying Chemistry, and cooking is chemistry! So we made bread dough, and we put it in the crockpot! I really had my doubts. But it turned out great. Easiest bread I ever made, save the bread machine.


Honey Wheat Bread

2 c Dry milk, warm/reconstituted (I had to dictionary.com this word. It means to add the water to the dry milk and make it liquid. I actually used buttermilk powder because it's what I had.)
2 tb Vegetable oil
1/4 c Honey
3/4 ts Salt
2 1/4 t Active dry yeast
3 c Whole wheat flour
3/4 c All-purpose flour (to 1 cup)

Preheat slow cooker (3 1/2 or 5 quart) on high for 30 minutes.

Combine warm, not hot, milk, oil, honey, salt, yeast, and half the flour. With electric mixer, beat well for about 2 minutes. Add remaining flour; mix well. place dough in well greased round Cake pan; cover. Let stand for 5 minutes. Place pan in slow cooker. Cover and bake on high setting for 2 to 3 hours.

Remove pan and uncover. let stand 5 minutes. Unmold and serve warm.

3 comments:

aggierudy3 said...

Could you share the link for the crock pot recipes? I'm trying to use mine more often.

Elaine

Jennifer Bacak said...

Sure!
http://delicious.com/sillbugs
That's a list of her previously posted recipes.
jenn

Marcus and Meg Asby said...

I'm excited about trying it! My favorite bread recipe right now is too high maintenance for regular use. And I love that it uses mostly wheat flour!