Sponsor a Child Today!

Monday, December 01, 2008

Family Worship with an Open Flame


Here is a picture of our Advent decor at my dining room table. I don't know what an Advent wreath is supposed to look like, really? But I put a wreath on my table, dressed it with a little holly bush sprigs, and put a big white candle in the center of four red candles.
Heather and I were just talking about how funny it is...doing this Advent thing is just like taking our regular family worship and adding in...FIRE! Prest-o, Change-o, It's magially exciting! With a house full of boys, there's nothing more thrilling than an open flame. Seriously!
They were constantly trying to blow it out throughout the whole devotional.
Emma raised her hand after we were halfway through and asked "If Jesus doesn't come back before next year, can we do this again?"
Yes! How cute is that?
She brought her own reading to our Advent devo last night. She read aloud from Luke two, which is what they are memorizing right now. I love the way she can read scripture aloud at every family worship time. There's just something REALLY sweet about hearing your kids read scripture.
So for those who were asking me, this is what my Advent wreath looks like. It's probably all wrong. Don't tell me. I'm just a Baptist, trying to get the hang of this. But we think Advent rocks!

1 comment:

Kari said...

I thought I was the only one who grew up without advent! I have only been celebrating it for 4 or 5 years now, but love it!!! I don't know why everyone doesn't celebrate it! At the last church I attended in Nebraska, every Sunday we would light one candle until the Christmas Eve service when we lit the Christ candle! I love your advent wreath! Last year, someone gave me one for a gift! I love it!!!!