Sponsor a Child Today!

Monday, March 23, 2009

Proverbs 31:26

"When she speaks her words are wise, and kindness is the rule when she gives instructions." Proverbs 31:26

I have been meditating on this verse, convicted by this verse, for at least a month now.
I don't know how this verse hits you, but it knocks me over.
Let's break it down...

When she speaks...We can stop right there. I can infer from this that she is not ALWAYS speaking! She is slow to speak and quick to listen (James 1:19). Proverbs is full of warnings about talking too much. Just one of them is 15:28 "The Godly think before speaking; the wicked spout evil words."
I want to be slow to speak. I need to think and pray before I open my mouth sometimes! I can look back and replay vivid film clips in my head of foolish, rebellious, and passionate words I spoke for the world to hear. I cringe. I wish I'd been slower to speak. I still need to learn this more and more.

her words are wise...I want to pursue wisdom with all my might! I long for wisdom, not just for myself, but for the people who follow behind me. I want to always be asking myself, not what is permissible, but what is profitable? (1 Cor. 10:23) Doesn't that change everything? Proverbs 2:1-4 says:
My child, listen to me and treasure my instructions. 2 Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. 3 Cry out for insight and understanding. 4 Search for them as you would for lost money or hidden treasure

I remember when I first read this verse as a new Mom. Not long before that we had lost some gift certificates. We literally turned our house upside down searching for those things! A few free meals at a local Mexican food restaurant turned me into a crazy woman! I searched desperately. I would stop at nothing! And I eventually found them. I read this verse, and an image of crazed me searching for gift certificates popped into my head. What if I searched for wisdom like that? What if I searched for wisdom like that? What if I didn't spew my opinions carelessly on others. What if I never used my words to make others look not as awesome as me. What if I only built others up? (Ephesians 4:29) and gave wise counsel?
That's the woman I want to be. So much!

and kindness is the rule when she gives instructions. Here's a rule. Be kind with your words. That's what we teach in Countdown to young couples. That's what we teach our kids. But there are times my tone is not kind with my kids, my words are not beneficial, and I hate it. I want kindness to be the rule ALWAYS when I give instructions. And I pretty much give instructions all day long. I'm a full-time Mom and teacher. Instructions never stop. It's not always going to be easy. But I want kindness to be the rule.

So there you have it. Help me! I need prayer for this. Maybe you do too. This is the woman I long to be. This is who God is molding me into. I'm not there yet. Maybe you're not either. But we can encourage each other along the way. We can hold up the pursuit of wisdom over pleasure or recognition. We can make kindness the rule, rather than exasperation and frustration. Only in His power, but we can.

2 comments:

Ricci said...

Jenn, I'm so glad you wrote this! I've been so convicted by the whole proverbs 31 lately!

I have to admit, it's been really overwhelming for me. I see all of these attributes I want to have, the way I want to be as a woman and as a wife... then I see how far I am and how short I come up in these areas in my life. It was so good to see how you've broken down just one sentence and made it seem so much more manageable! Still something BIG to learn, but I'm so encouraged. THANK YOU!

I definitely could camp out in "when she speaks..." for awhile. Is there a recovery group for volcanoes? If so, I desperately need that number!

Anonymous said...

I love this post, Jenn. I love the truth you shined light on it and the way the timing of it was so spot on for me. Your heart is an inspiration to me.