Sponsor a Child Today!

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Anxious thoughts

The week before my half marathon I fought off that anxious feeling about the pain in my knees.
How was I going to run 13 miles when running at all hurt so much?
Walking hurt.
Basically everything but sitting with ice hurt.
I knew there was no way I was quitting, and I would cross the finish line, but would I have knees when I was done?
But as always, even a hint of anxiety proves fruitless and, well, ridiculous.
God sees me.
He seems my needs and he even sees my desires.
He doesn't always do what I want, when I want it (Praise the Lord!) but He is good and faithful.
He just bestowed His goodness on me in making my knees better at just the right time, so how stupid of me was it to spend time thinking and worrying about this?
It's a waste of time.
It's a waste of energy.
And worry is sin! Philippians 4:6-7 says "Don't worry about anything, instead pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."
That's pretty comprehensive.
Don't worry
pray
express your need
be thankful for what He's already done (which is a LOT)
let peace fall on you
a peace you can't even understand
It protects your mind and heart from your own destructive thoughts
THANK YOU!

Does anyone else have to learn the same lessons over and over again?
I wish I didn't. But I'm glad he reminds me.
I think I might remember this better in big things, but I let the little things consume my mind.
Running with broken knees...sewing a horse's costume when I don't sew...trying to use mind control with the weather for Run For Compassion, which clearly doesn't work.
When something arose today that might have caused me to worry and tailspin into anxious thoughts, I remembered.
God is good and faithful, and while His ways are higher than mine and I might not know how things are going to work out, He does and He is sovereign.
My job is to be faithful in the meantime as I rest in Him and remember all that He's already done with a thankful heart.
Friends, feel free to remind me of this when I need it. I'm putting on peace and thankfulness, even in the tiny details.

No comments: